Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Experience as a Senior Creative People Mentee

During the fall semester of 2011, I had the pleasure to work with Chuck Schroeder and Don Blauweiss of Senior Creative People. My work was part of a course at the Alberta College of Art + Design whereby 4th year Visual Communications Design students are matched with real clients. With my strong interest and background in web design, and their need for a web presence for their newly formed creative consultancy, this was a perfect fit. But what also came out of the working relationship was the catalyst for the Senior Creative People mentorship program.

Throughout the project, I learned a lot about the process of developing a consultancy from the ground up, and the development of their brand in the process. I learned about their approach to work, especially collaborations with outside contractors and other vendors, and their experience working in an office-less environment and in different time zones.

And although my career goals are not perfectly inline with their areas of expertise – my career goal is to work as a designer in a digital agency, whereas their experience is within traditional advertising – a lot of their experience is still transferable to what I need to know. Content is king, not just in advertising, but also within any area of design. Their focus on the idea and concept was seen and apparent in the process of working with them. I also learned a lot about their time working at Doyle Dane Bernbach, the originators of the creative revolution in advertising.

I had an excellent experience and gleaned invaluable insights into the world of advertising and working as creative individuals.

3 comments:

  1. I have the same idea to put it in action down here in Santiago, Chile covering Byenos Aires. I have to sent Mr. Schroeder a mail. Please give me your email address. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deseo poner en acción a Chuck Schroeder y su idea de apoyar a la Tercera Edad aquí: Santiago de Chile y Buenos Aires.Tengo un e-mail listo y deseo tener su dirección para enviársela. Está en inglés para que no tenga problemas, si es que no maneja el idioma. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for contacting us! Please send your email addy to: info(at)SeniorCreativePeople.com and we will respond.

    ReplyDelete